Friday, December 16, 2005

Tomorrows the Big Day!?!

Well, the wait is finally over, all my grades have been posted and I get to take the big walk Saturday. I went by Henderson Hall today to thank the profs and take one last look around the the place where i've spent most of my last fours years. In the words of Scotty, "it brought a bloody tear to me eye."
Although i have plans for the future (i.e. going to work on my MDiv and such), we all know to well about the best laid plans of mice and men. I really feel so alone right now. This school has became more of a home than my real home. Especially since I've spent the majority of my time here. Yet, it will be good to home and spent some quility time with the family.
Like anything I've ever done in my life, I just have to re-ajust yet once again. In my heart though i know I can never be the person I once was. School has really changed me in the way I think, act, and look at life now. I know I'm a better person for it, and I also know that as much as I will look at things and people at home and defferently, they too will also view me in a defferent way.
I just hope they can accept this new me, but it's not likely. My home town has a hard time accepting change, especially when people change. They would rather nothing change; that people should know their place and stay in it. Just the other day I got to hear a one and a half hour sermon on why a minister should not worry about getting an education as long as their called of God.
Yet it's water under the bridge now, and like the river I will flow. I've set my sails and I will go where ever God leds with or without their help. I know that like Paul, I've found that when I would do good, evil is always present. I don't they mean evil, so don't get me wrong; They are just so set and backwards in their ways that they can't see any other way.
So let them think what they want; for me this a major accomplishment and I am proud that I've earned my degree. I've pored a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into earning it. I put my life and my families life on hold. So why not be proud at such an achivement? I will hold my head up high tomorrow as I walk accross that stage. I will cherish the memories of the friends I've made and cry a little too.
I will say my goodbyes and give my thanks to all; the professors who taught me, the staff who aided me, but most of all to the wife and family who has stood beside me throught this whole adventure, who never let me sway to far from the path, and remain faithful even form afar.
So to her and my children will I dedicate this posting. And although to say thank you is not even close to coming to how I feel, I know in their heart, that Daddy was always there, and they in mine. And to my friends I've made here at Carson-Newman I dedicate the following:

Here we are coming to end, which is also a beginning
All the smiles, tears, adrenaline, sweat, and broken hearts
Through the tears, fears, finals, and friendships
No one knows what each of us has gone through to be here
I can look around at everyone and wonder what they will be
Some may never remember the professors, you, or even me
All the weight of world is now pressed upon our shoulders
Fighting the good fight to make something of ourselves
For years of work to start all over again with a new fear
Not showing ourselves, not to shed a single tear
Where one door closes another opens, and we must walk through
Though nothing is what it seems, everyone wearing a mask
Afraid to open up for fear of being hurt, for fear of change
We will never know unless we make our fate and
Meet our destiny with all we have taken from this place
Sharing our love and friendship with new friends
Though never to replace our home town companions
How can we ever forget the memories we made in this chapter
The dark days coming into light, the days we did not want to wake up
The mornings after we let it loose, having to get up and make it through
I cannot see what lies ahead, but I know some things must stay unsaid
I will say I love every friend that I have made here at Carson-Newman
Thank you, you have no idea what you have done for me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man! You did the impossible, and lived through it. I'm proud to call you friend. Send me a line at the old e-mail kingofthewoodedisle@hotmail.com. Best way to get hold of me, working 15 hour shifts right now.

Love ya man,
Morgan

11:09 PM  
Blogger A. Whipple said...

I apologize for my lack of presence at your graduation. However, I'm glad that you have seminary to look forward to. If you're in town at some point, give me a call or let me know. I hope you still have net access so as to get to talk more often than not.

alma mater hail...
Whipple

8:13 PM  
Blogger A. Whipple said...

Oh, and by the way, I'm more into writing letters now than email. It feels a bit more like communication when you're putting your hands on the same piece of paper that your friend put their hands on. So, my address is:

1898 N. Hwy 92
Apt 43

you know the city and zip. And your address???

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home