Sunday, November 12, 2006

The mind turns in accordance with the ten thousand things. The pivot on which it turns is very hard to know.


Hello once again. As I endeavor to try and keep up with my site, I was perusing my saved pics and art work and found this piece. As in my absent minded state of being I cannot remember who is credited with this particular piece but, I will give the proper credit when I find it.
My purpose in putting this art work up was as I was browsing my folders I thought of the season and how things change. Normally I find myself using my blog to vent however, today I thought I'd post something different. For some reason after reading the comments to my last post I decided to visit their site and became interested in their postings. Which naturally has lead to today's post.
This particular piece of work as well as comments put me in mind of The passage in Ecclesiastes Ch. 3. This particular passage as titled by The Byrds, "Turn, Turn, Turn" is quite likely one of the most used passages in funerals by ministers ever. Being the son of a preacher and a student in biblical studies myself, this passage reflects not just a changing of seasons but, of birth, life, and then death. At least that seems to be the view of many ministers.
We're all familiar with the most popular of this 8 verse passage; "A time to be born and a time to die." And for many (including myself) have taken the view of the latter; "A time to die." Yet are we mistaken in our view? Through out the entire text of the passage it does not speak of opposing sides but, of changing times. Yes, there is a time to die and everything must in that order be born and then eventually in this realm of existence; die. At least in this flesh as it now stands. But are we missing the point? Do we in our fleshly nature focus solely on death? Is not just as important that we live?
I begin to notice as I re-read this passage that although we place our emphasis on the latter the real focus by the writer is on birth and life. As one from the Baptist theological persuasion I've heard many ministers reverberate Paul's words in that "We have preached no other message to you other than Christ and Him crucified." And yet for some reason seem to drop of at that point. Yes, Paul made this statement in his letter but, he doesn't stop there. He constantly reminds those of whom he ministers unto of the life in Christ we can all share; of the resurrection in Christ of those who listen and follow His teachings. In other words, we've seem to keep missing the mark.
I'll not put the complete passage in my post but, ask you to re-read Ecl. Ch3, 1-8 and think as you read. As the pattern of life progresses we can see that even though there is a time to live and then die, there is also a emphasis on the former such as, a time to heal, build up, to laugh, and to make peace, just to name a few. If you read closely you'll find that most of the emphasis after the initial death verse begins to be place on the positive; the things which make us feel alive, which keep us sane and happy as we go through this earthly life.
In other words there is a 'Time ' to think positive. So many times I've seen the pattern in my own life where I would focus on the bad things that oppress me, that wounded me, so much so I become blind to the light at the end of the tunnel. I lose sight of the goal. And because of this I miss out on the things God surrounds me with that are happy and make me a winner over evil. The things that present themselves to keep me on my feet and my goals in sight.
Life is indeed short when compared to the rest of the cosmos but, I don't not believe that God intended us to go through it mourning only our losses and humming dirges throughout it. There is obstacles in our path and there is mountains to overcome, it's called life. God never promised us a bed of roses; He promised us peace; of mind and of soul.
Paul states that he had to learn that regardless of the situations that presented themselves in his life to be content. And what did Paul face? Persecution from others, evil on every side, imprisonment, scourging, shipwreck, sickness, betrayal and loss of friends, family, even his fellow apostles and ministers. Like Christ, he was deserted by those closest to him, accused by those he had called friends, imprisoned by his fellow citizens, and executed for no crime against the government other than inconvenience.
Now ask yourself, have you ever been persecuted by others (chided, teased)? Faced with evil on every side? Imprisoned by traditions or in your own mind? Beaten down by the world of men? Shipwrecked in spirit and soul? Sickened by your own fleshly weakness? Betrayed by others or those close to you? Loss of friends or family because of death or opposing views? Deserted by others when you were in need the most? Accused wrongly simply because of your beliefs or faith? Faced ostracism by your community because you didn't fit in their little click or held a different view than theirs? Or had the very core of your being (Spirit) executed by the court of "Popular Opinion" because you choose not to play follow the leader(s) in the latest "Cool" thing?
I tell you brothers and sisters, these are the little things. Don't sweat it. From experience I can tell you if you do, it can bear down on you like the weight of the world. It it can and will destroy you, your spirit, and core of your being if you do not learn to overcome.
These things are small and insignificant compare to the larger picture; the greater plan in the universe. These things will take happen, it's called life but, it doesn't have to be the all encompassing dark forest that blinds you to the "Son Light" that lights your path and guides you back home to peace.
SUNLIT PATH
Universal Prayer

O Holy God, Lord of mercy and love,
Praise and honor unto Thee!
Thou art omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient;
The Holy and Sacred power that is the source and sustainer of the universe;
Thou art peace of mind;
Thou art the indweller of all beings.
Grant us an understanding heart,
Equal vision, balanced mind, faith, devotion, and wisdom.
Grant us inner spiritual strength to resist temptations
And to control the mind.
Free us from egoism, lust, greed, anger and hatred;
Fill our hearts with divine virtues.
Let us behold Thee in all things;
Let us serve Thee in all things;
Let us ever remember Thee;
Let us be ever loyal to Thee;
Let us ever sing Thy glories;
Let Thy Name be ever on our lips;
Let us abide in Thee for ever and ever;
That we may be full, complete and whole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home